Thursday, February 9, 2012

I'll Talk to Jesus About It

It's been a while since I posted and I must say that I have missed it. However, I decided not to force myself to write something if I didn't really have anything worthwhile to say. Well, today I was given a reminder by a 2nd grader that I feel is worth sharing.

While the mild winter that we have been enjoying has been great, I think it's safe to say that students and teachers alike wouldn't complain about a snow day. I was having a conversation today with one of my second grade classes about how nice it would be to have a snow day, but that I didn't think that was going to happen any time soon. After my comment one of the boys in the class looked at me and said, "I'll talk to Jesus about it." I looked into his sweet face, smiled, and said, "That's good. We can talk to Jesus about anything can't we?"

What seemed to be a brief and insignificant conversation has managed to stick with me. As of late, I am learning that the advice from this 2nd grade boy can and should be our first course of action regardless of what we are facing. Talking to Jesus about snow days may seem somewhat ridiculous to my adult way of thinking, but how often do I disregard talking to Jesus about things that I might consider more important? How would my life and thinking be different if I paused to share my thoughts with my Savior and ask for His guidance and wisdom?

Recently, my Sunday School class did a study of the book of Nehemiah. As we worked our way through the account of this servant of God, I was struck by how faithful he was to pray. His story is not one of an easy life, but Nehemiah is an example of a life dependent on communication with God.

Jesus himself is the greatest example of talking to the Father. We see many accounts of Jesus spending time in prayer and communication with God. Luke 5:16 says, "Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray."

I must add that if you have ever done a Bible study or heard a sermon on prayer that there is always the reminder that prayer is not meant to be one-sided. Yes, God wants us to share our heart with Him and bring our burdens, cares, and concerns to him. However, we must then be willing to listen for His response and direction and be willing to follow.

So, whether it be snow days or something that will affect my life for longer than a day or two, the point is that in this life I need to do what my 2nd grade friend suggests.

I need to talk to Jesus about it!

1 comment:

  1. Aw! To have the faith of child...Thank you for the sweet reminder.

    ReplyDelete