Thursday, May 19, 2011

Braver, Stronger, Smarter

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work; If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!   (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10)
 
Today I found myself thinking of and praying for a very dear friend of mine. She recently called and asked me to pray for her and her family as they are facing some very trying and difficult situations. I jumped at the chance to pray for her and encourage her because, you see, she has done that for me so many times before. She has called me, prayed for me, listened to me, shared meals with me (and MANY Dr. Peppers!), and has basically been an incredible support for me.

As I was thinking of her I realized how God puts people in our lives exactly when we need them. I know . . . this isn't some earth-shattering new concept, but as I pondered this today I was overwhelmed with gratitude. Gratitude to God for caring so much for me that he knows just who to send my way to help me through every life situation. He also gives me ample opportunities to do the same for others. For me, this is an even bigger blessing.

You know, it occurred to me that I need to be really aware of how God might be using me in someone's life right now. Think of people that you know who may have never realized that they were who you needed at just the right time. Or maybe they had just the right words of advice or encouragement. GOD DOES THAT!

My heart is overwhelmed when I think of times that God has been able to use me. It's not always easy to know what to do or say in some situations, but I've learned that just being there, even in silence, can speak volumes. 

My husband has taught me a lot about showing compassion for people and not being afraid that you won't know what to do or say. In fact, when we were dating (well, barely dating . . . but who's keeping track!) my grandfather was suffering from Alzheimer's disease and it came to a point where we knew he would not live much longer. I requested prayer for our family in Sunday School and later that week my Papaw went home to be with Jesus. The morning after he died I called Kevin to tell him the news. When I told him what happened he didn't respond with, "Let me know if you need anything" or "I'll be praying for you." No. He asked me where I was (at my apartment) and told me he was on his way. He knocked on my door and when I opened it he just wrapped his arms around me and let me cry. Nothing else he could have said or done would have been any better. He basically spent the rest of the day taking care of me and letting me work through my grief. He brought me lunch and dinner and offered to drive me to meet my parents if I needed him to. THAT is when I knew that I was going to marry this man! It sounds funny, but it was so tangible to me at that moment.

God is so good and he knows our hearts and minds better than we do. He created us with thoughts and feelings and emotions. Laughter and joy and celebration are wonderful things, but we also go through the times of trial and tears and sadness. Thankfully, God's Word reminds us of this truth:
And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Power is perfected in weakness? Wow! Only God could do that!

In my life, I have not had to face a multitude of trials and for that I am grateful. I know that is not the case for all of you who are (hopefully) reading this. I pray that Christ's power may be perfected in your weakness and that he will send you someone to help pick you up.

I found this Winnie the Pooh clip and thought it would be a nice way to end this post because "You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."



2 comments:

  1. Keep these comin'... Can't wait to read the next one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took my breath away! Thanks for the encouragement it was just what I needed today.

    ReplyDelete