Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hard Days and Abundant Blessings

Today was hard!

That's all there is to it.

I don't really know what I expected it to be like, but giving someone else the keys to our first home was hard. In the grand scheme of things it's fantastic to have it over with and to move on from having two houses, but it was still . . . hard.

I find myself thinking about how insignificant this really is in comparison to what other people go and are going through. I mean, I should be thankful that I have one house, let alone TWO! And I am thankful, but, for me, right now, this is and has been extremely stressful and, well, hard. I don't know how else to say it (obviously!).

God has been good to us and I am grateful for how he has blessed our lives. I am most especially thankful for Kevin. He acts with wisdom and integrity, and he takes very seriously his responsibilities in providing for our family and being the head of our home. Words cannot express how grateful I am that God has given me such an amazing husband.

After we got finished today I was talking to my mom and she said something about appreciating our blessings when they come our way. That made me think about whether or not I do that. Not just when it comes to selling a house, but every day. Do I really appreciate or notice those little blessings that God sends my way? It's easy to notice the big ones, and even then I sometimes "forget" to be thankful and overlook where those blessings come from. In the craziness of my life, it would do me a world of good to just stop and look around at how truly blessed I am. I think the words to this hymn sum it up nicely. Feel free to sing along . . . 

"Count Your Blessings"
Johnson Oatman, Jr.

When upon life's billows your are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

Refrain:
Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your blessings, see what God hath done.
Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your many blessings, see what God hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly.
And you will keep singing as the days go by.

Refrain

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold.
Count your many blessings - wealth can never buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.

Refrain

So, amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged, God is over all.
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.

Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your blessings, see what God hath done.
Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your many blessings, see what God hath done.

Thank you, Mr. Oatman, Jr. I couldn't have said it any better than that. So as I close this post I am pondering what blessings I should be counting today. Hopefully you will do the same and, as the song says, "you will keep singing as the days go by." (Of course, that's my favorite line in the song!)

"In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment