Friday, May 20, 2011

Long Road Home

I've decided that one of the hardest things I've ever done is sell a house. Between getting it ready to sell, hoping and praying that people will come look at it, getting an offer that fell apart, moving into a rent house NEXT DOOR to the house we have for sale, moving into our new house and getting another contract that looks very promising, this house selling stuff is no fun! It's exhausting and emotionally draining. Selling this house has been a challenge, but letting this house go, for me, has been just as challenging.

Almost 8 years ago I married my best friend and the love of my life. We built a house on Snake Drive (what a great street name, huh??) and there we began our life together. Lots of time, energy and decision making went into building that house and we were both so pleased and excited when it was completed and we got to move in. It took us a while to get things just right (that might have something to do with the fact that we didn't have bedroom or living room furniture until a few months after we moved in), but eventually it really started to feel like home.

Home . . . that's what it was. It was our home, not just our house.

I remember when we moved in and some of Kevin's Sunday school boys came to help us. We had pizza and watermelon on the driveway. A few weeks later we saw some unusual looking sprouts in the yard. We soon figured out that they were our watermelon seeds that had taken root. Wouldn't that have been interesting to have in the front yard! Not quite the landscaping we were going for!

I remember decorating for Christmas the first year we lived there. We had the perfect window to put a Christmas tree in front of. It was beautiful! And I got to put my ornaments on my very own tree which made it even more special.

I remember MANY hours of watching college football (which I quite enjoy!).

I remember breaking our brand new iron when I knocked it off the ironing board and then doing the exact same thing after Kevin got Target to replace it! After I broke the first one Kevin called home and when he asked what was wrong I said, "I'm mad because I broke the iron." He must have misunderstood because he replied, "You're mad so you broke the iron??" I said to him, "No, I'm mad BECAUSE I broke the iron." This is still one of our favorite stories to tell and a memory I have from our home.

I remember when Dixie became a part of our family and I instantly became a "dog person."

I remember getting our Johnny Johnson scripture picture that we hung above the fireplace. "Be still and know that I am God." I would often find myself reading those words and being grateful that we had that reminder as a focal point of our home.

I remember waiting for the baby ducks to start appearing on the pond each spring. It was so fun to watch them following after the Mama duck and to feed them. We found a nest of ducklings right behind our back fence one year. We were so afraid that they would get mowed over that we roped off the area and put a sign out that said "Duck Habitat: Do Not Mow." It worked and they grew up to be very happy ducks!

I remember being snowed in and Kevin wanted to go sledding. The hill behind our house made for a very good sledding hill and he picked up so much speed that he zoomed right on to the ice-covered pond as I was frantically yelling "STOP!". Well, the ice broke. Kevin began sinking and Dixie tried to play rescue dog and took a little dip herself. It was quite a sight I'm sure. Have no fear, we all made it back safe and sound although two out of three of us were soaking wet. Brrr . . . 

I remember coming home from work and opening the garage only to find my husband sitting on a new motorcycle! I quickly responded "Well, I guess we better go get that red washer and dryer I've been wanting." I still love that washer and dryer even though some people think I got the bad end of that deal!

I remember learning how to make Christmas candy with Mamaw. That was such a fun day with Mom, Aunt Cindy, Alisha, Lacy and Tina. I'm determined to carry on the candy-making tradition.

I remember lots of laughter and some tears as well through the years, but mostly I just remember it as home. Comfortable, safe, perfect!

It's a great house and now it will belong to someone else, and I wouldn't have it any other way. God has truly blessed us and I am so thankful that he has given me a passion for "home." Home is very important to me and I look forward to many years of memories in the new home he has provided for us. However, I will always remember the years we spent and cherish the memories we made in the house on Snake Drive.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear all about your new "memories" that make your new home, HOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh i loved that candy making day, too! great memory!!! and that emotion of leaving a home to start a new home-- totally get that. exciting and new and a little sad-- but mostly so exciting to begin anew! good post, good song, great memories!

    ReplyDelete